AFP belittles Joma’s ouster threats vs. Duterte

MANILA — The military is not keen on taking seriously Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison’s claims that the New People’s Army (NPA) guerillas are now ready to oust President Rodrigo Duterte following the latter’s decision to suspend informal peace talks with the rebels, pending a three-month review of all previous agreements.

“There have been peace talks after another that have failed in the past. And each time, they were trying to oust the President — but never came close enough to at least unsettle a Commander-in-Chief,” Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesperson, Col. Edgard Arevalo, said in a message to reporters Friday.

Arevalo added that Sison’s threats seemed to be unfounded as NPA guerillas and their supporters continue to surrender to government forces in record numbers for the past few months.

“We do not know where Mr. Sison derives his temerity to make such a threat when members of the terrorist NPA continue to surrender in droves in the face of the AFP’s tactical, intelligence, and civil-military operations that enjoy the support of the Filipino people,” he said.

Arevalo also assured the public that it is supporting all efforts to attain just and lasting peace.

Last week, Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza announced that the government is not yet ready to resume formal peace talks with the CPP set in Oslo, Norway on June 28-30 to allow the public to engage more in the peace process. (Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...