AFP vows to defend PH maritime interest amid latest WPS incident

Armed Forces of the Philippines Spokesperson MGen. Edgard Arevalo on Sunday said air and maritime assets have been deployed to conduct sovereignty patrols following the reported presence of 220 Chinese maritime militia.

The patrols were conducted to “further validate the report.”

The National Task Force for the West Philippine Sea (NTF-WPS) on Saturday said it received a report from the Coast Guard regarding the vessels “believed to be manned by Chinese maritime militia personnel” at the Julian Felipe Reef.

“Appropriate reports were made and forwarded to other agencies of government through the General Headquarters of such monitored number of CMM. These reports are made bases of filing appropriate actions not limited to filing diplomatic protests,” Arevalo disclosed.

“The AFP will not renege from our commitment to protect and defend our maritime interest within the bounds of the law,” he guaranteed.

The NTF-WPS in its report expressed concern over the incident, citing the possibility of overfishing, marine environment destruction, and safety of navigation risks.

The government has already assured continuous monitoring over the situation and pursuit of its initiatives in the West Philippine Sea. — PTV News Online

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...