Alleged Demafelis recruiter not yet off the hook: CIDG

MANILA — The alleged recruiter of Joanna Demafelis, the domestic helper who ended up dead in Kuwait, is not yet off the hook, the chief of the police’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) said Friday.

In a Radyo Pilipinas report Friday, CIDG head, Director Roel Obusan, said they will look into Agnes Tuballes’ alleged referral to determine whether there was “another modus” to recruit illegally.

Obusan made the pronouncement after Tuballes admitted to talking to a certain Arra Migtimbang who was reportedly looking for Filipinos to work in Kuwait.

Since the two were not licensed to recruit, Tuballes admitted to using licensed recruitment agencies, including the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Global E-Human Resources, Inc., to facilitate the papers and screening processes of individuals they manage to convince.

Tuballes added that they were assisted by a certain Mariz Ansaji Mohammad, secretary of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel agency.

President Rodrigo R. Duterte earlier directed the National Bureau of Investigation to look for the local recruiters of the slain housemaid following the arrest of her employers, Lebanese national Nader Essam Assaf and his Syrian wife, Mona Hassoun, last week.

The two are the principal suspects in the death of Demafelis, whose body was found inside a freezer in an abandoned building in Kuwait City early this year. (Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...