Army: 12 BIFF killed in 2-day offensives in Maguindanao

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao — The military here claimed that 12 Islamic State-linked Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) were killed in military offensives on Sunday and Monday.

Capt. Arvin John Encinas, spokesperson of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division (6ID), said the two-day air and ground assaults in Barangay Malingao, Shariff Saydona town left a dozen BIFF casualties and their remains were recovered by authorities and local officials.

The slain BIFF members were recovered in Sitio Pandan, Sitio Mungkas and Sitio Pandan, all in Barangay Malingao were some 50 BIFF fighters were sighted.

Encinas identified the slain BIFF as Baser Alon, Nurdin Kalun, Kemi Jainudin, Wahed Anuwar, Bensar Ali, Arapat Gemal, Bedo Gamadil, Wari Brahim, Bakar Seral, Tato Menta, and two unidentified rebels.

Nine other militants were injured in the clashes, he added.

“Our troops on the ground are continuously gaining advantage over the BIFF bandits in the SPMS Box for past several days of intensified military operation,” Brig. Gen. Cirilito E. Sobejana, 6ID commander, said in a statement Tuesday.

The SPMS box refers to the towns of Salibo, Pagatin (Datu Saudi), Mamasapano, and Shariff Aguak, where the BIFF mainly operates.

“Our troops remained on alert,” Encinas said, adding that the BIFF tried to set off improvised bombs along the roads leading to the clash site but Army bomb experts deactivated them Tuesday morning.

He said the death of the 12 militants brought to 35 the total number of BIFF killed so far in ongoing clashes since July 1, which marked the start of the all-out offensive against the terror group in the province. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...