At least 6 killed in Houthi attack in northern Yemen, official says

Xinhua News Agency

HAJJAH, Yemen – At least six people were killed and more than 20 others injured when crowds celebrating a public holiday in the northwestern Yemeni province of Hajjah Saturday (Sept. 25) night were hit by a ballistic missile launched by Houthi rebels, said a government official who preferred to remain unnamed.

When the attack occurred, hundreds of residents and soldiers were believed to be attending an event marking the 59th anniversary of the country’s 1962 revolution in a public square in downtown Midi City, a coastal city under government control.

So far, Xinhua has no other sources to confirm the casualties.

Yemen’s 1962 revolution turned the country into a republic. Its anniversary is a Yemeni public holiday that falls on Sept. 26, and this year’s anniversary was marked by celebrations held in government-controlled cities and provinces.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since 2014 when the Iran-backed Houthi group seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the internationally recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa.

The government army recaptured Midi in 2018 after years of fierce fighting with Houthi rebels.

The Yemeni civil war has killed tens of thousands of people, displaced 4 million, and pushed the nation to the brink of starvation. (Xinhua)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...