DOH: More evidence needed for COVID-19 booster shots

By Pearl Gumapos

The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday (Sept. 25) said that while it is in favor of booster shots, more evidence must be collected and studies conducted to assure the safety of those who will receive the shots.

“‘Antayin po natin na magkaroon tayo ng kumpletong ebidensiya dahil kailangan po naming mai-guarantee na kapag ibinigay na po natin ito, this would really provide that protection to our health care workers and the other vulnerable population here in the country,” DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said during the Laging Handa public briefing.

Vergeire said their recommendation is to wait for further evidence.

“Pinag-aaralang maigi, and tayo naman po ay pabor na magbigay ng booster. Pero kailangan may sapat tayong ebidensiya para maging basehan. So that we can guarantee the protection of our public kapag nagbigay tayo ng booster shots,” she added.

According to Vergeire, the opposing views of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on booster shots serve as reminders that further research into the topic is necessary to ensure the safety of vaccinees.

“Napakalaking halimbawa po ang nangyari sa U.S. kung saan nagkaroon ng opposing views ang FDA nila at saka iyong CDC. At iyan po ay isang senyales talaga na talagang hindi pa po sapat ang ebidensiya para sa booster shots, because even reputable institutions are having contradicting opinion or views about this,” Vergeire said.

This is why experts are “really studying” the advantages and disadvantages and the complete evidence regarding booster shots, she added.

Meanwhile, Vergeire also said the DOH assures that it has given healthcare workers complete and standard medical equipment to ensure that they are safe from infection.

“Kailangan siyempre kumpleto at saka maayos ang maibigay po natin sa kanilang mga gamit para sila ay protektado sa sakit. So kailangan lang ho nating i-validate talaga if these deliveries ay talagang nagkaroon ng mga ganitong kakulangan,” Vergeire said.

This was after Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp. executive Krizle Grace Mago admitted to the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee in a hearing on Friday (Sept. 24) that the company had sold the government substandard face shields for the use of doctors and nurses during the pandemic last year. A warehouse employee of the company had said at the hearing that he repacked for delivery face shields that were dirty or had discolored foam parts.

Vergeire added: “Pero as far as DOH is concerned, whatever we were able to deliver to all of our health care workers ay maayos po. Hindi rin ho kami tumatanggap talaga ng may mga sira o hindi kaya ay may mga ganyang klaseng discoloration or nasira na iyong foam [na face shields]. Hindi ho namin iyan tinatanggap. We do inspections also.” – jlo

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...