Bacolod to host PH Philharmonic Orchestra for 2-night concert

By Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA

The Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra performing in ‘A Christmas Festival’ at the Cultural Center of the Philippines last December. (Photo from the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra Facebook page)

BACOLOD CITY — The Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra (PPO) will hold a free two-night concert in this city on January 31 and February 1 to boost the people’s interest in the performing arts.

The PPO, a resident company of the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP), is considered as the country’s leading orchestra and is widely regarded as one of the top musical ensembles in the Asia-Pacific region.

On the first night, the group will perform at the SMX Convention Center Bacolod, and the next night, they will hold an open-air concert at the Bacolod City Government Center grounds.

Mayor Evelio Leonardia said he initiated the visit of the musical ensemble because he believes Bacolod has to grow in all aspects, including culture.

He invited barangay residents to watch the concert.

Councilor Em Ang, who has been designated as project manager, said they started meeting with CCP president Arsenio Lizaso and other CCP officials last year for the inclusion of the Bacolod event in the PPO’s 2019 concert calendar.

“This is part of the PPO’s outreach program, which aims to promote music appreciation in underserved communities in the different regions in the country. We are fortunate that it has chosen Bacolod to promote their music,” she added.

Ang also said that bringing the PPO performances to Bacolod will boost the city’s efforts to revive the people’s interest in the performing arts.

In December 2016, the PPO also held a Christmas concert in Silay City, Negros Occidental.

Its previous performances in Western Visayas were held in Iloilo City and Antique last year.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...