Ceres-Negros focused on winning against Yangon United

By Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA

BACOLOD CITY — Ceres-Negros star Stephan Schrock is optimistic of a win against Yangon United of Myanmar in the Preliminary Stage 1 qualifiers of the AFC Champions League 2019 at the Panaad Stadium here on February 5.

“Yeah, I’m very confident that we will win. We’re very grateful to represent the city,” Schrock said in press conference on Thursday afternoon during the home team’s meet-and-greet event at the Bacolod City National High School.

Ceres-Negros, the Philippines Football League champions, previously defeated the Myanmar National League champions in the ASEAN Zone semifinals of the AFC Cup 2018.

“We have very good additions, (replacing) the veterans who left, and the team’s mindset is always winning,” the Filipino-German midfielder said.

Last month, Patrick Reichelt, who played for Ceres-Negros for five years, left the team, along with fellow veteran Manny Ott.

Ceres-Negros assistant coach Ian Treyes said the team is highly-motivated to face the Myanmar champions this coming Tuesday.

“The adjustment with the new players is in the system. Each of us is 100 percent focused on this game against Yangon United,” he added.

Latest Busmen recruits include keeper Ronilio Bayan Jr., defenders Alvaro Silva and Dennis Villanueva, and midfielders Miguel Tanton, Angelo Marasigan and Dylan de Bruycker.

With a win against Yangon United, Ceres-Negros will face Chiangrai United of Thailand on February 12 in the second stage.

Winners of the second round will face Japan’s third ranked club in the final playoff match to book a slot in Group F.
Teams in Group F include China’s Guangzhou Evergrande, Korea Republic’s second ranked club, and Australia’s Melbourne Victory.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...