Ex-Palace spox Harry Roque withdraws senatorial bid

By Earl Jed Roque/PNA

MANILA — Former Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque on Friday announced his withdrawal from the senatorial race in this year’s mid-term elections, citing health reasons.

“It is with a truly heavy heart that I announce the withdrawal of my senatorial bid. I have recently undergone a percutaneous coronary intervention following the discovery of an unstable angina coronary disease earlier this week. In the days since the procedure, my family and I have been forced to confront the reality of my physical situation and what it ultimately means for my aspirations to public service,” Roque said in a statement.

While stressing that he is not closing the doors for a return to government service, he said he needs to rest for at least two months from now.

“I ran for senator because I wanted to be of service in a way that I know I will be highly effective. It is my sincere hope that I will someday again have the honor to serve the Filipino people as a legislator, or in whatever other capacity I may be of service. I continue to support our President and this administration and wish only the best for our country,” he said.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, meanwhile, said his predecessor is free to make the decision.

“Everybody is free to change one’s decision,” he said in a message to reporters.

Earlier, President Rodrigo Duterte asked Roque to lead the proposed reversion of the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) to the Office of the Press Secretary (OPS) but he opted to join the 2019 Senate race.

Aside from being the Palace spokesperson, Panelo concurrently serves as Chief Presidential Legal Counsel.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...