China: No Filipino involved in smuggling of P6.4-B shabu shipment

MANILA, Aug. 6 — An official of the International Enforcement Cooperation Division-Anti-Smuggling Bureau (ASB) of the General Administration of Customs (GACC) of China said that no Filipino was involved in the shipment of the 605 kilos of methamphetamine hydrochloride, or shabu worth PHP6.4 billion.

In a letter addressed to Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon, Zhang Xiaohui, head of the ASB of the GACC, clarified that there were no Filipinos involved in the smuggling of the said contraband.

“We hereby certificated (sic) that no Filipino citizen was detected by ASB to be involved in the drug smuggling and that based on our intelligence, there was only one shipment of drug destined for the Philippines and no other shipment was related to this case,” Zhang said in a two-page letter dated July 17.

The Chinese official also assured that there was no other drug shipment of the illegal drug to the Philippines during that period.

At the same time, Zhang congratulated the BOC’s Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Service (CIIS) headed by Director Neil Estrella for its prompt action on the intelligence information related by China on May 26, 2017.

“Thank you to the prompt action of the Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service, Bureau of Philippine Customs, the 605 kilograms of methamphetamine hydrochloride was successfully seized. Otherwise, the drugs will go into the black market which the consequence cannot be imagined,” he added.

Zhang said the information was relayed to “Mr. Rainier,” reportedly Estrella’s chief of staff, requesting quick action on the matter, which resulted in the immediate recovery of the shipment was “another example of the necessity of cooperation between China and the Philippines Customs.”

He noted that his office sent the following information to CIIS for further investigation:

— Xiamen Ati-Smuggling Bureau started the particular anti-drug intelligence operation from January 2017 to May 2017

— United actions were carried out in Xiamen, Quanzhou, Donggua and Shenzhen, resulting in four suspects being captured.

— On May 25, 2017, Xiamen Anti-Smuggling Bureau investigation revealed that one shipment declared as 5 printing cylinders was suspected to conceal drugs

— The cylinders had been shipped from Shihu, Quanzhou, Xiamen Customs District to Manila, the Philippines by its carrier, Hong Fei Logistics Company.

“Once again, we would like to extend our heartfelt appreciation to your utmost attention and since cooperation and assistance. We have a good start and I believe there is plenty of room for our future cooperation,” Zhang added. (Ferdinand G. Patinio/PNA) BOC-pr

You can download a copy of the letter here :

Page 1  Page 2

 

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...