Chinese ships need not shut down trackers while passing PH waters

By Priam Nepomuceno/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Tuesday requested all Chinese naval vessels to keep their “AIS” (automatic identification system) on while passing through Philippine waters.

He made this request to the Chinese government after China’s sole aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, passed Sibutu Strait last month without prior knowledge of Philippine authorities.

“These ships apparently when they passed by Sibutu Strait, they turned off their automatic identification system, causing our radar not to detect them,” Lorenzana said in a mix of Filipino and English.

Sibutu Passage is a deep channel some 18 miles (around 29 kilometers) wide that separates Borneo from the Sulu Archipelago.

AIS is an automatic tracking system that uses transponders on ships and is used by vessel traffic services.

Apparently, these ships are turning off their AIS as they do not want to be seen or detected. “In any part of the world if you shut off your AIS, meaning you do not want yourself to be known by other people,” the DND chief stressed.

And even if they have turned-off their AIS, they can still be spotted in the daylight by spotters or lookouts.

“And based on our talks with (Chinese) Ambassador Zhao (Jianhua) and he volunteered this information to me, in the future he will request that anytime these ships pass by our territorial waters, they (will) inform us and ang sabi ko sa kanila, at saka wag nila dapat patayin yung AIS nila (and I told them that they should not also shut down their AIS),” the DND chief stressed.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...