Cordillerans advised not to vote for candidates involved in drugs

Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan (PNA File Photo)

BAGUIO CITY — Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan is advising Cordillerans not to vote for people involved in illegal drugs in the May 14 barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.

In the dialogue for peace held here on Wednesday, Domogan said voters must wary not only of those on the “narco list” released by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Monday, but also of those whom they know are either illegal drug users or pushers in their communities.

“In the villages, it’s impossible for residents not to know who among their neighbors are using or pushing illegal drugs. They will eventually find out,” Domogan said.

On the sidelines of the public meeting, Police Regional Office Cordillera (PROCOR) Regional Director Chief Superintendent Edward Carranza said intelligence officers on both the regional and provincial levels are now verifying the names on the narco list.

PDEA Director General Aaron Aquino bared the narco list on Monday, consisting of 207 barangay officials nationwide. Of this number, 34 were in the Cordillera Administrative Region–24 in Abra, six in Apayao, two in Baguio, one in Kalinga, and one in Ifugao.

Cordillera has the second highest number of names included on the narco list, next to the Bicol region.

Domogan, who heads both the Cordillera Regional Development Council and Regional Peace and Order Council, said the PDEA’s release of the names is beyond the local governments’ control.

The mayor said one of the two people from Baguio on the list had immediately came to him and expressed willingness to undergo investigation by law enforcers, although that person had been previously cleared of the offense.

“That person was already cleared in the past, but I advised him and he did execute an affidavit of his willingness to undergo whatever investigation will be done by the authorities to prove that he is neither a drug pusher nor a user,” Domogan said.

The mayor said he had also instructed the person to see the chief of the Baguio City Police Office and the PDEA for them to review the documents he had previously submitted and express his willingness to again submit himself to another investigation to prove his innocence. (Liza Agoot/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...