COVID beds, ICUs of hospitals now near full capacity

Due to the rising number of Coronavirus Disease cases in the country, COVID-19 beds and Intensive Care Units (ICUs) of several hospitals are have reached near full capacity.

As of today, the reproduction number of COVID-19 in Metro Manila is at 1.95, which means that for every positive case, up to two individuals may contract the disease.

The OCTA Research Group said that if an upward trend of cases continue, hospitals may reach full capacity by first week of April.

The group also noted that an 11% hospitalization rate and 18% mortality rate is the current trend in the National Capital Region (NCR).

Based on the data of the Department of Health (DOH), Makati City’s hospital bed capacity for COVID patients is in critical condition, while hospital occupancy for the cities of Muntinlupa, Pasay, Taguig, Quezon, and the municipality of Pateros are at high risk situation, with 70% to 84% occupancy rate.

Currently, ICU beds for Las Piñas City is also in critical condition, and high risk for Makati, Muntinlupa, San Juan, and Quezon City.

According to Philippine General Hospital Spokesperson Dr. Jonas Del Rosario, PGH has a 200 bed capacity for COVID patients, 170 of which are now occupied. Also their ICU is in full capacity right now.

Del Rosario said that they can still accommodate patients seeking treatment for COVID-19, but if cases continue to surge, they may have difficulty attending to them.

St. Luke’s Medical Center has a similar situation. Medical Director, Dr. Benjamin Campomanes disclosed that a patient seeking for hospitalization needs to wait between 3-5 days before admission.

He also noted a 101% occupancy rate in SLMC Global City, as families squeeze in just to be admitted in their hospital. —Ken Bornilla

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...