DFA passport on wheels served 138K since January 2018

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced that more than 100,000 passport applicants were served by the DFA passport on wheels (POW), or equivalent to four consular offices’ output, since January 2018.

“Through the Passport on Wheels, we are not only able to bring our consular services closer to the people but, more importantly, serve more people, accommodating more than 138,000 applicants since January,” DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said in a statement.

The figure was revealed as the agency announced it will step up efforts to meet the public’s consular needs by sending the POW to private and government offices, hospitals, subdivisions and schools nationwide.

The DFA said its capacity to serve more people increased since the POW program was launched to different cities, with the number of its applicants in the last six months already equivalent to the output of four medium-sized consular offices.

The government offices visited by POW were Malacañang, Senate, House of Representatives, Department of Health, National Commission on Muslim Filipinos, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, and Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority.

Employees of private entities such as GMA Network, Aboitiz and Nestle have also benefited from the POW program.

The DFA also went to hospitals like St. Luke’s Medical Center and Tricity Medical Center, and partnered with homeowners’ association such as Loyola Grand Villas in Quezon City, to hold consular missions.

Last June 30, the POW went to Xavier School and served 1,930 applicants.

Booking POW

Cayetano said any LGU, company, school or organization can avail of a POW service by sending a written request to the Assistant Secretary for Consular Affairs of the DFA via email at [email protected].

The letter must specify the estimated number of applicants (minimum of 500 and maximum of 2,000), the name and contact details of the requesting party’s designated Passport Coordinator, and the preferred schedule.

Assistant Secretary for Consular Affairs Frank Cimafranca said the demand for passports has risen dramatically since 2016.

Cimafranca said the growth rate was primarily driven by the expanding middle class, the availability of affordable plane fares, and the lure of more lucrative employment opportunities overseas.

To meet the demand, the DFA recently opened new consular offices in Tacloban City, San Nicolas in Ilocos Norte, and Santiago City in Isabela, while the DFA Aseana in Parañaque City opened its passport services on Saturdays earlier this year.

The DFA has also increased the daily capacity of all consular offices, expanded the courtesy lanes to sectors who need them most, and arrested and prosecuted fixers and scammers. (PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...