Dive into the beauty of PH: DOT launches first ‘PH Dive Experience’ to boost tourism

LOVE DIVING. The Department of Tourism launches its first Philippine Dive Experience program in Anilao, Batangas on Thursday (Nov. 28, 2024). Under the Philippine Experience Program, the dive-focused initiative aims to elevate the diving experience in the country by showcasing underwater landscapes as well as promoting sustainable diving practices to help preserve natural marine heritage. (Photo courtesy of DOT)

By Brian Campued

Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco leads the launching of the first Philippine Dive Experience in Anilao, Batangas on Thursday following the Philippines’ sixth consecutive win as the leading diving destination in the world at the 2024 World Travel Awards.

Frasco, a certified diver herself, joined diver delegates in exploring Anilao’s undersea wonders, including a “LOVE Reef”—an artificial reef structure designed to support coral growth, provide habitat and breeding grounds for marine species, and enhance shoreline protection.

“Starting here in Anilao, Batangas, a world-renowned diving destination, we shine a spotlight on the Verde Island Passage. This globally significant corridor is a haven for marine life and a dream destination for underwater photographers,” she noted.

Under the Philippine Experience Program of the Department of Tourism to promote sustainable tourism, the dive-focused initiative gathered high-ranking diplomats as well as diplomatic and consular corps, leaders in the dive and tourism sectors, and other tourism stakeholders to explore the country’s treasured marine biodiversity.

The Philippine Dive Experience aims to elevate the diving experience in the country by showcasing its underwater landscapes as well as promoting sustainable diving practices to help preserve natural marine heritage.

“To our esteemed friends from the diplomatic community, our partners, all the delegates and participants, we invite you to become ambassadors for Philippine diving. Together, we will share to the world the beauty of our dive destinations and to ensure the treasures of our seas remain a source of pride and prosperity for generations to come,” the DOT chief said.

During the event, Frasco also bared key initiatives to boost dive tourism, including the installation of hyperbaric chambers at strategic diving sites to ensure diver safety and meet global standards as well as the training of over 10,000 tourism professionals from CALABARZON under the Filipino Brand of Service Excellence (FBSE) Program.

The DOT, so far, has trained more than 262,000 tourism professionals nationwide under FBSE.

Frasco underscored that the Philippine Dive Experience aligns with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s vision for tourism transformation.

“We’re not interested in recovering only what was lost, but rather in transcending to the rightful place that the Philippines deserves in the global community of tourism nations: a country that prioritizes the sustainability of its destination and the regeneration of its resources while it seeks to reintroduce itself to the world from the strength of its identity, heritage, and culture,” she said.

The Philippines’ dive industry has contributed P73 billion in revenue in 2023.

-iro

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...