DOH-9 pushes for community fireworks display

By R. G. Antonet Go/PNA 

ZAMBOANGA CITY –– The Department of Health in Region 9 (DOH-9) has launched an advocacy pushing for community fireworks display to prevent firecracker-related injury during the Yuletide Season and New Year’s revelry.

Dr. Agnes Mabolo, DOH-9 non-communicable disease cluster chief, on Thursday said each barangay should have one fireworks display area to ensure that it is managed by knowledgeable people.

“As early as now, we are advocating for the public to watch fireworks display (in a common area) and to use other means to create noise instead of exploding firecrackers in welcoming the New Year,” Mabolo said.

She said the advocacy is in line with Executive Order No. 28 issued by President Rodrigo Duterte, which provides for the regulation and control of the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.

The advocacy is anchored on the slogan “Iwas Paputok, Fireworks Display ang Patok!

DOH-9 records show that there were seven cases of firecracker-related injuries in 2017 in the region. Last year’s injuries, however, were lower compared to the previous years–11 in 2016, and 12 in 2015.

Meanwhile, Mabolo said DOH-9 has also encouraged local government units in the region to adopt an ordinance banning the sale and use of firecrackers to eliminate firecracker-related injury during the Yuletide season.

Mabolo cited that Zamboanga City has recorded zero firecracker-related and stray bullet incidents since 2013. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...