DOH-Bicol monitors 300% rise in measles cases

LEGAZPI CITY — The Department of Health (DOH) regional office in Bicol is closely monitoring the number of measles cases after recording a 300-percent increase this year compared to last year.

The DOH recorded 239 cases of measles from January to September this year in the six provinces of Bicol compared to 61 cases in the same period in 2017.

There were six recorded deaths this year but no data was given to last year’s number.

“Since measles is a vaccine-preventable disease, it is very alarming that in Bicol there is an increasing number from the suspected up to the confirmed cases of measles as well as in the number of deaths,” Dr. Monrey Isaiah Mancilla, DOH Medical Officer III, said on Tuesday.

Mancilla believed that among the factors which have contributed to the increase in the number of cases were the recent issues on vaccination that caused parents to lose confidence in its effect, busy schedule of parents, and fear of adverse reactions.

Out of the six provinces in Bicol, Masbate has the highest number of measles cases with 28 for 2017, which increased to 80 in 2018; followed by Camarines Sur with eight last year to 69 this year; Camarines Norte with six in 2017 to 63 in 2018; Sorsogon with seven for 2017 to 12 in 2018 and Albay from six for 2017 to 12 this year.

Catanduanes province, on the other hand, noted a decline in cases from six for 2017 to three in 2018.

Measles immunization is provided by the government for free to save children’s lives, Mancilla said.

Measles is a highly contagious viral disease transmitted through coughing and sneezing, and close personal or direct contact with infected nasal or throat secretions.

Initial symptoms, which usually appear 10 days after infection, include high fever, cough, runny nose, bloodshot eyes or conjunctivitis, tiny white spots on the inside of the mouth and after several days, rashes will develop, starting on the face and upper neck and gradually spreading downwards.

The DOH is increasing awareness of measles among the public through the conduct of massive information and education campaign, supplemental activities, routine immunization and school-based immunization.

“We also initiated ‘Basta Wednesday, Barangay Bakuna Day’ to give the public weekly access to the government health services,” Mancilla said. (Connie Calipay/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...