DOH: Mobility rate in NCR increased amid ECQ

The Department of Health (DOH) said the public’s mobility rate in Metro Manila has increased amid the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

In a statement on Tuesday (Aug. 17), DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the mobility rate of the National Capital Region (NCR) has increased by 39% compared to the past implementations of the ECQ.

The department also mentioned that thousands of quarantine violators were recorded based on the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) data. 

“Kung hindi po tayo makakapag-comply ng safety protocols like nagma-mask ang mga tao, hindi nagkakaroon ng gatherings…Hindi rin natin ma-a-achieve ang objectives natin,” she stressed.

In a Laging Handa public briefing, OCTA Research group fellow Dr. Guido David agreed that the public’s mobility during the current ECQ has increased. He suggested more stringent restrictions to aid the matter.

“Minsang nagdrive ako sa labas. Lumabas ako, nakita ko, medyo mabigat ‘yung traffic and nagulat nga ako na, hindi yun ang in-expect ko considering nasa ECQ tayo. So kung mag-decide ‘yung IATF na i-extend, pwede pa nilang higpitan siguro at least kahit yung implementation ng quarantine.”

The noncompliance with the minimum health protocols is one of the reasons behind the increase of COVID-19 cases, according to the DOH.

Since Aug. 10 to Aug. 16, more than 12,800 daily average cases have been recorded. It is higher compared to the almost 9,000 cases last week. According to the department’s report on Monday (Aug. 16), the NCR, Calabarzon, and Central Luzon have recorded the most number of COVID-19 cases.

Report from Mark Fetalco/NGS-rir

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...