DOH records 5 firework-related injuries

MANILA — The Department of Health (DOH) on Sunday said there was a new case of firecracker-related injury bringing the total to five on the third day of monitoring.

Based on Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction Injury Reduction 2017 Report No. 3, there are now a total of five firecracker-related injuries from 6 a.m. of Dec. 21, 2017 to 6 am to 6 a.m. of Dec. 23, 2017.

“This is 16 (76 percent) cases lower than the five-year ‎(2012-2016) average and 12 or 71 percent cases lower than the same time period last year,” the DOH report said.

The culprit for the latest case again was piccolo, an illegal firecracker.

The victim who sustained an injury in the hand was rushed to Las Pinas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma.

Four fireworks-related cases were from the National Capital Region which had the most number of cases: two from Manila and one each from Las Pinas and Pasig City.

The other one was in Bicol Region.

Of the five injuries, four were due to piccolo while the other one was caused by a Pop-pop firecracker.

Still, there were no cases of firecracker ingestion and stray bullet incidence.

The cases were reported and gathered from participating DOH Sentinel Hospitals. (PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...