DSWD to aid displaced families in Boracay shutdown

ILOILO CITY — The disaster response cluster of the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC) in Western Visayas on Friday laid down its plan due to the impending closure of Boracay Island this coming April 26.

Delia Villa-Bagolcol, Assistant Regional Director for Operations of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) during the cluster meeting emphasized that they will be looking into the condition of families who will be displaced.

“We anticipate that displaced families who will be affected the most are those who are informal settlers. They will be our priority,” said Bagolcol.

She said that they will be coordinating with the concerned local government unit regarding the relocation of families who were served notices to vacate.

Of the 28 that were served, 15 are enrolled with the Pantawid Pamilya Pilipino Program (4Ps).

She also said that DSWD has prepositioned relief goods in Malay, Aklan ready for pull out when the local government unit (LGU) needs augmentation.

DSWD Regional Director Rebecca Geamala said DSWD has a standby fund of PHP6.2 million for disaster operations and 30,000 stockpile of family food packs.

DSWD will deploy 150 workers to Boracay next week to validate the households that will be affected by the closure based on the report of the LGU.

“If there is a declaration of state of calamity, we could utilize this to help those affected in Boracay,” she said.
Non-resident of the Malay town who will be displaced can avail of assistance under the Aid for Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS).

RDRRMC chair Jose Robert Nuñez last week released a memorandum directing all committee to convene and submit information related to the early recovery of Boracay Island. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...