First Saudi women get driver’s licenses

This image released by the Saudi Information Ministry shows Tahani Aldosemani, assistant professor at Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University in Al-Kharj, as she displays her new driving license at the General Department of Traffic in the capital, Riyadh, June 4, 2018. (Photo courtesy of AP)

Saudi Arabia has begun issuing its first driving licenses to women as it prepares to lift the world’s only ban on women driving later this month.

Saudi Arabia’s government issued a statement Monday saying it has started issuing licenses to women who already held driving licenses from other countries, including Britain, Lebanon and Canada. It said the women took a brief driving test before receiving their new licenses.

Saudi Arabia is planning to lift its decades-long ban on female drivers on June 24. The move is part of Prince Khaled bin Salman’s plan to modernize the conservative oil-rich state.

However, the government’s steps to lift the driving ban for women comes a week after Saudi Arabia arrested several women who campaigned for the right to drive as well as campaigned against the country’s male guardianship system. Rights groups say four women remain in custody, facing possible trial.

In Saudi Arabia, women are legally required to get approval from a male guardian for legal decisions. These can include education, employment, marriage, travel and medical treatment.

In announcing the government’s decision to lift the ban on female drivers last year, Prince Salman said women will not need approval from their guardians to get a driver’s license and will be able to drive alone in the car. He said they will have permission to drive anywhere in the kingdom, including the Islamic holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

The prince said the decision marks a “huge step forward” and that “society is ready” for the change. Voice of America

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...