Five killed, 440 motorcycles seized in carnap group’s warehouse

By Edwin Fernandez | Philippine News Agency

PIKIT, North Cotabato – Police and military authorities have launched a continuing manhunt operation against other members of a carnapping syndicate-cum-private armed group following an encounter that left five persons dead and five others injured, police reported Thursday (Dec. 30).

In a statement, Lt. Col. Maria Joyce Birrey, spokesperson of the Police Regional Office in Soccsksargen (Region 12), said a joint Army and police operation is ongoing in North Cotabato and Maguindanao provinces after the remaining members of the syndicate fled during the pre-dawn raid Wednesday (Dec. 29) on a suspected warehouse of carnapped vehicles.

“The police operation is ongoing,” she said. Five armed men were killed while five others, including three police officers, were injured during a clash in Barangay Gukotan, Pikit, North Cotabato.

In a separate statement Thursday, Brig. Gen. Alexander Tagum, the PRO-12 director, said policemen, backed by soldiers, were to verify reports of carnapped vehicles kept in a compound run by a syndicate in Barangay Gukotan when they were fired upon, triggering an hour-long firefight.

“As the team arrived in the village, they were fired at by unidentified gunmen using high-powered firearms,” he said.

With the help of village officials, the police identified the fatalities as Badrudin Masulot Dalid, Arbaya Dalid Panizares (female), Asraf Dalid Masulot, Bunta Kabantu, and a still unidentified male who all died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Following the firefight, the joint police-Army team found more than 440 assorted motorcycles, two M60 machineguns, anti-tank rocket B-40 launchers, an M14 rifle, an M203 rifle fitted with a grenade launcher, three M16 rifles, a vintage .30 caliber Carbine rifle, two .38 caliber revolvers, and bomb-making components.

The injured police officers were immediately rushed to the hospital in the town proper here.

Police Muhidin Dalaganon Mantok, one of the gunmen, voluntarily surrendered to authorities.

A resident who asked not to be named told reporters that the compound which has a tennis court and a basketball court was owned by a legitimate pawn shop businessperson.

The motorcycles, including firearms, were pawned to the shop, he said, explaining why there was a huge number of motorcycles and vehicles in the area.

But Birrey said an investigation is still going on the report if it was a warehouse for pawned vehicles.

“The presence of high-powered firearms make the area a suspected lair of a lawless group,” she said in the vernacular.

All firearms seized during the raid were unlicensed. Barangay Gukotan is about 20 kilometers south of the town proper. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...