GenSan’s top opposition pols shun 2019 elections

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — This city’s opposition stalwarts are taking a break in the 2019 elections.

Candidates of the Achievers with Integrity Movement (AIM), a local political party founded by former city mayor and South Cotabato Rep. Adelbert Antonino, filed their Certificates of Candidacy (COC) Wednesday morning without their key leaders.

Incumbent South Cotabato 1st District Rep. Pedro Acharon Jr., the party’s current chair, joined the slate in filing their candidacies past 8 a.m. before the Commission on Elections here but did not file for any elective post.

The party, which dominated the local political arena until the 2013 polls, fielded businessman Jacinto “Jay” Omila to challenge incumbent City Mayor Ronnel Rivera of the People’s Champ Movement (PCM).

Rep. Acharon’s younger brother, Loreto, will vie for the city’s vice mayoralty post for the second time.

AIM’s city council slate is led by its lone incumbent stalwart, Councilor Jose Orlando Acharon, and former councilors Vivencio Dinopol, Jose Mariano Gonzales, Richard Atendido, Virginia Llido, and Minardo Avila Jr. The other aspirants are Rico Cabanit, Rene Odi, Remus de Claro, Alvin Veneracion, and Bebe-I Gonzales.

The party fielded former city councilor, lawyer Arturo Cloma, for representative of the first district of South Cotabato.

Rep. Acharon, who is on his third term at the House of Representatives, was previously rumored to be eyeing a return to the city hall.

He served as city councilor for two terms, one as vice mayor and three as city mayor since 1992.

“I regret to say that I will not be seeking any elective post this time for personal reasons,” Acharon told reporters.

He said he has to take care of family members, including his wife Rose, who have “health issues.”

Acharon said he has been in public service for 26 years and has decided that it’s time for him to “choose my family.”

He said former South Cotabato representative Luwalhati Antonino, wife of Adelbert, decided to remain retired from local politics while her daughter, former city mayor Darlene Antonino-Custodio, decided not to run a second time to attend to her family.

Custodio, who had served as South Cotabato representative for three terms before becoming mayor in 2010, lost to incumbent City Mayor Rivera in 2013 and decided not to run in 2016. (Allen Estabillo/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...