Help heal Boracay, Binay tells stakeholders

BORACAY ISLAND, Aklan — Senator Nancy Binay has asked stakeholders in Boracay to do their part in helping the island heal itself adding she is not amenable to the proposed total closure of this premier tourist destination.

Binay, in an interview with the Philippine News Agency before their Senate hearing in Boracay on Friday, expressed hope that the stakeholders would do their own part to address the environmental problems in the island.

The chair of the Senate tourism committee said owners violating environmental laws should carry out self-demolition of the illegal structures.

Binay reiterated her hope to find a solution for Boracay’s woes other than its closure in her opening statement before the Senate hearing conducted in the island.

President Duterte, after calling Boracay a “cesspool”, then urged for its total closure to address its environmental woes.

Other government departments are pushing for a six-month shutdown.

In 2017, Boracay generated PHP56 billion revenue from the 2.180 million tourist arrivals with 17,737 workers with direct employment in tourism, said Tourism Secretary Wanda Corazon Tulfo-Teo, who was also here for the Senate hearing.

The senator also turned her attention to the political leaders of Antique, urging them to start right with the development of their tourism industry.

She said since Antique is still a developing province in terms of its tourism then it is better that there is already a master plan drawn and implemented.

“May be you can draw up a master plan for 25 years which you could review now and then,” she said.

The master plan will serve as guide for the establishment of infrastructures in the province’s tourist attractions.

Antique has been gaining the attention of tourists as a side trip getaway after a Boracay visit.

The tourist arrivals in Antique reached around 1.2 million last year. (PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...