House extends reparation funds’ validity until December

MANILA — The House of Representatives on Wednesday night unanimously approved on final reading a joint resolution, seeking to extend the period of availability of funds for victims of human rights violations during the Marcos regime until December this year.

With 213 affirmative votes, the lower chamber passed House Joint Resolution No. 26 to ensure that all legitimate claimants under the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act, will be able to get their monetary reparations, particularly those who were issued with checks by the Landbank of the Philippines (LBP).

The resolution authorizes the Commission on Human Rights to administer the distribution of the funds to qualified victims, their heirs, or representatives.

The Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board (HRVCB), which is mandated to process claims and distribute the financial reparation for victims of human rights violation during the Marcos martial rule, has ceased to function since its sunset on May 12, 2018.

According to the resolution, Only 11,103 legitimate claimants out of more than 75,000 applicants had been approved by the HRCVB as of May 11, 2018.

However, the HRVCB was only able to completely resolve the 6,737 appeals on May 6, 2018, or six days before the expiry of its existence.

The checks issued by the HRVCB for the human rights victims have validity of only three months.

As of June 28, the HRCVB account with the LBP reported a balance of PHP792.628 million. The funds shall be maintained until Aug. 11, 2018, after which the balance will be reverted to the Bureau of Treasury.

“Without immediate intervention, many human rights victims will be denied the monetary reparation, intended for them,” Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate, who is the primary author of the resolution, said.

“While no amount of monetary reparation will restore lost lives, properties, broken relations and dreams of the human rights victims and their families, the reparation is important for them, as it forms part of the overall recognition of the reality of human rights violations and their immeasurable suffering under the Marcos regime,” he added.

The amount of PHP10 billion was allotted for the reparation of the human rights victims. (Filane Mikee Cervantes/PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...