Laguna town’s village, SK polls draw 433 aspirants

ALAMINOS, Laguna -The Commission on Elections (Comelec) here announced Monday that a total of 433 aspirants have filed their certificates of candidacy (COCs) for various positions in the upcoming synchronized barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections on May 14.

Local Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Officer Danilo P. Cartagena said that the number of local aspirants for various village and youth council posts was overwhelming for the town’s 15 barangays.

The local poll body said two candidates filed their COCs towards the deadline, around 15 minutes before closing time at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

“There were many filers last April 18 and 19 (reaching) to more than 400 already the number of COCs that we received in this municipality,” Cartagena said describing that most of those who filed were contenders for the SK posts.

He said that of the 433 candidates, 322 are males and 111 are females. The town has 27,000 registered voters choosing barangay and SK officials in the non-partisan local electoral exercise.

There are eight slots for the barangay and also eight slots for the SK in each barangay – a chairman and seven councilors for each category.

Cartagena said from the 433 position aspirants, 34 are vying for the post of barangay chair; 250 as barangay kagawad; 27 as SK chair and 122 as SK kagawad (youth council members).

Meanwhile, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)-Municipal Local Government Operations Officer Leandro S. Dancil reminded that those who will win in the local synchronized elections here on May 14 are obliged to attend the Sangguniang Kabataan Mandatory Training.

Dancil said the obligatory training’s scheduled date will be announced and will be held at the Laguna State Polytechnic University (LSPU)-San Pablo City Campus auditorium in Barangay Del Remedio in this city. (Ruben E. Taningco/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...