Marcos watches US-PH live-fire sea drills in Zambales

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. witnesses the Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise of the Philippines-United States of America (USA) armed forces being conducted in San Antonio, Zambales on April 26, 2023. (PNA photos by Alfred Frias/Rolando Mailo)

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. observed on Wednesday, April 26, the live-fire sea drills of Philippine and American forces as part of this year’s Balikatan exercises in San Antonio, Zambales.

Part of the Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise was the sinking of the decommissioned BRP Pangasinan of the Philippine Navy positioned 12 nautical miles off San Antonio waters.

Marcos also witnessed the firing of rocket launcher High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) for distant targets.

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. witnesses the Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise of the Philippines-United States of America (USA) armed forces being conducted in San Antonio, Zambales on April 26, 2023. (PNA photos by Alfred Frias/Rolando Mailo)

Malacañang said around 1,400 military, sailors, and coast guard personnel of the two countries participated in the activities that involved the detection, identification, targeting, and engagement of a target ground and air-based weapons systems.

Also mobilized in the exercises wereAH-64 Apache attack helicopters, Philippine Air Force FA-50 Golden Eagle fighter-attack aircraft, F-16 Fighting Falcons, United States (US) Marine F-35B Joint Strike Fighters, and the US Air Force Special Operations Command AC- 130 Spectre gunship.

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. witnesses the Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise of the Philippines-United States of America (USA) armed forces being conducted in San Antonio, Zambales on April 26, 2023. (PNA photos by Alfred Frias/Rolando Mailo)

Citing military officials from both countries, Malacañang said the event demonstrated both countries’ commitment to boost military capabilities and interoperability.

Marcos was joined by Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Gen. Andres Centino, National Security Adviser Eduardo Año, Zambales 2nd District Rep. Doris Maniquiz, and Zambales Governor Hermogenes Ebdane Jr.

Also present were Ambassador MaryKay Carlson, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for South and Southeast Asia Lindsey Ford, and US Exercise Director LtGen. William Jurney. AG – gb

Popular

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...