MRT-7 contractor to hire E. Visayas workers

TACLOBAN CITY — The contractor of Manila Metro Rail Transit System 7 (MRT-7) will hire workers from the region trained by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), an official confirmed Wednesday.

TESDA Eastern Visayas Regional Director Toni June Tamayo said representatives from EEI Corporation, the engineering, procurement and construction contractor of MRT-7 would select skilled workers through a trade test next week.

“They asked us the names of graduates in the past two years ago. If they would pass the examination, they will work for the rapid transit line project,” Tamayo said.

“For those who will not pass, the company refers them to training centers where they will be given additional enhancement training for them to pass the trade test,” he added.

Last week, officials from EEI Corporation gathered TESDA graduates from Leyte and Biliran provinces with construction-related skills to the Enrollment and Jobs Bridging Fair held at Robinsons Place here.

EEI expanded their search for workforce in provinces to give opportunities to job seekers in provinces to land a job, Tamayo said.

The government picked Universal LRT Corporation BVI, a subsidiary of San Miguel Corporation (SMC) as the builder of MRT Line 7 in 2008. SMC tapped the consortium of Hyundai Rotem and EEI Corporation as the contractor.

The PHP62.7 billion project will include a 22.8 kilometer of a mostly elevated railway line with 14 stations that will start in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan and will end in Quezon City.

Aside from EEI Construction, the Makati Development Corporation also forged a partnership with TESDA 8 for a dual training scheme.

Under the partnership, trainees will spend 60 percent of their time in the training center while the remaining 40 percent will be spent at the construction site.

The partnership with industries is not only beneficial to TESDA in attaining its goal to make all their trainees employed.

“TESDA will supply the skills and labor needed by the Build, Build, Build program of President Rodrigo Duterte,” Tamayo added. (Roel Amazona/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...