NFA-NegOcc to replenish Iloilo with 5K bags of rice

BACOLOD CITY — The National Food Authority’s (NFA) office in Negros Occidental will replenish its counterpart in Iloilo with 5,000 bags of rice once its own imported stocks are unloaded.

Frisco Canoy, manager of NFA-Negros Occidental, said an additional 2,500 bags are expected to arrive from Iloilo on Wednesday after the first batch of the same volume was delivered here last week.

NFA-Negros Occidental has been allowed by the agency’s head office to borrow up to 10,000 sacks from Iloilo while waiting for the arrival of its own imported rice allocation from Thailand.

A portion of the rice supply from Iloilo has been distributed among markets in the province through accredited NFA rice retailers. NFA rice sells for PHP27 per kg.

M/V Unison, the vessel carrying 80,000 bags of imported rice for Negros Occidental, has already docked at the Bredco port here and unloading began Wednesday.

“We expect that by this week, we can already sell stocks from our own imported allocation,” Canoy said.

On Tuesday, Canoy met with representatives of the Bureau of Customs, along with the supplier, cargo handler, insurer and surveyor, and personnel of M/V Unison, in a dialogue held inside the vessel.

During the dialogue, which is part of the importation process, concerned agencies and entities discussed the delivery schedules and checked the compliance to requirements.

Canoy said under the new importation contract, the NFA only comes in once the stocks are already piled inside the warehouses.

The supplier takes charge of the expenses for cargo handling, trucking, and labor, among others, he added.

“Once the stocks are inside our warehouses, we will immediately reject those found to have defects,” the NFA official said.

Canoy pointed out that the NFA will accept only “good stocks” or those that have passed quality standards.

Quality control personnel of NFA take rice samples to check the delivered stocks for defects. “Bad orders” will not be received, Canoy said. (Erwin Nicavera/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...