No China permission in Ayungin resupply mission

READY FOR DIALOGUE. The Chinese Embassy in Manila on June 28, 2024 said Beijing would work with ASEAN countries in addressing the differences in the South China Sea through dialogue. China’s statement came after the June 17 incident in Ayungin Shoal involving the Philippine and Chinese troops. (Photos courtesy of AFP)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

The National Task Force for the West Philippine Sea (NTF-WPS) refuted the claims of China that it permitted the Philippines resupply mission in its outpost in Ayungin Shoal on Saturday.

The task force also belied in a statement on Sunday that China inspected the supplies the Philippine military was carrying to ensure that only humanitarian necessities were ferried to BRP Sierra Madre.

“To clarify, the Philippines did not and will never seek permission from the PRC to conduct resupply missions to Ayungin Shoal,” the task force said.

“There was also no boarding and inspection by the Chinese Coast Guard as claimed by the Chinese Foreign Ministry in its statement yesterday (Saturday).”

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), with the support of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), successfully carried out a rotation and reprovisioning (RORE) mission to the grounded BRP Sierra Madre inside its exclusive economic zone.

The AFP used the civilian vessel ML Lapu-Lapu and was escorted by the PCG vessel BRP Cape Engaño.

The NTF-WPS said Chinese maritime forces, including at least nine vessels, were in the vicinity and observed the operations.

“They maintained their distance and did not undertake any action to disrupt the RORE,” the NTF-WPS said.

It was the Philippines’ first resupply mission since Manila and Beijing reached a provisional agreement on the conduct of resupply missions earlier this month, a far cry from the usually Chinese-harassed operations.

The task force said the “provisional understanding” with China is meant “for the simple reason of de-escalating tensions and preventing misunderstanding and miscalculations at sea.”

“The understanding explicitly does not prejudice the national position of the Philippines,” the task force said.

It said it expects China to adhere to the agreement, with both sides dealing with “differences in a constructive manner and never through coercion and intimidation.”

DFA hits back

In a separate statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said it is unfortunate that China “mischaracterized the Philippines’ RORE mission.”

“Instead of acknowledging how two countries were able to manage differences in order to avoid miscalculation and misunderstanding, the spokesperson chose to misrepresent what has been agreed between the Philippines and China regarding RORE missions in Ayungin Shoal,” the DFA said.

“Let us make it absolutely clear: The understanding between the Philippines and China was concluded in good faith, with the explicit agreement that it will not prejudice national positions,” the agency said, adding that giving “false notions” about the agreement is not helpful for both sides.

The DFA reaffirmed the Philippines’ unrelenting position in the WPS dispute.

“The BRP Sierra Madre is a commissioned naval vessel and its presence in Ayungin Shoal is well within the Philippines’ sovereign rights and jurisdiction,” the DFA said.

“The Philippines will remain committed to the peaceful settlement of disputes, including through dialogue and consultation, and will honor the understanding on RORE missions. We expect China will also adhere to the understanding as negotiated,” it added. (With reports from Priam Nepomuceno)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...