No confirmed case of monkeypox in PH: DOH

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

No confirmed case of monkeypox has been detected in the Philippines so far, the Department of Health (DOH) said Saturday, June 25.

In a Laging Handa briefing, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said local government units continue to submit samples from “suspect cases” to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) for verification.

“As of today, wala pa tayong nakukumpirma sa monkeypox,” she said.

The World Health Organization (WHO) in May 2022 reported outbreaks of monkeypox in non-endemic countries.

Between January to June 15, 2022, a total of 2,103 confirmed cases and one death due to the virus have been logged in 42 countries, including those where monkeypox is endemic.

The WHO said the risk at the global level is moderate “considering this is the first time that many monkeypox cases and clusters are reported concurrently in many countries in widely disparate WHO geographical areas, balanced against the fact that mortality has remained low in the current outbreak.”

Based on its latest data, more than 90 percent of the cases have been reported from May up to June 15, 2022. – gb

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...