No more ‘marites’, fake news as PTV-Legazpi returns on air after 7 years

PAMBANSANG TV RETURNS TO LEGAZPI. People’s Television Network, Inc. (PTV) General Manager Toby Nebrida and Albay Gov. Glenda Bongao lead the unveiling of the inaugural plaque and the official sign-on ceremony of the PTV’s station in Legazpi City on Monday, Dec. 16, 2024. (Photo screengrabbed via PTV Livestream)

By Brian Campued

Following the launch of its regional center in Cotabato City last week and in line with its mandate to reach every corner of the nation, the People’s Television Network, Inc. (PTNI) officially returned on air in Legazpi City, Albay on Monday after seven years.

PTV Legazpi will deliver timely and relevant news for and from the Bicol Region, providing localized programming focused on stories, culture, and achievements at the grassroots level—giving Bicolanos a platform to be seen and heard.

“Wala na pong maritesan, wala ng fake news, o haka-hakang impormasyon patungkol sa pamahalaan dahil narito na po mismo sa Legazpi City ang pangunahing ahensiya ng gobyerno na inatasan at may mandato na ipahayag at ipaalam sa bawat mamamayan kung ano-ano ang impormasyong ito na mula sa pamahalaang nasyonal at ang inyong pambansang network,” PTV General Manager Antonio Baltazar Nebrida Jr. said in a keynote speech.

Nebrida, along with Legazpi Mayor Alfredo Garbin Jr., led the unveiling of the inaugural plaque.

Nebrida also highlighted the new opportunities that the new station will open, such as the creation of local and community-generated content specifically catering to the needs and interests of the Bicol Region.

With the network’s “re-established” presence in Legazpi, the PTV chief also noted that the station will become a “premiere training ground” for future journalists and technical professionals.

“We hope that there will come a time when our budding journalists, graphics and digital artists, electrical, electronics, and communications engineers will no longer have to go to Manila or other cities for their internship and apprenticeship requirements,” he said.

PTV-8 Legazpi previously aired from 2010 to 2017 and was operated by a private counterpart. The construction of the transmitter center began in March 2022, following the signing of a memorandum of agreement between Misibis Land Incorporated and PTV.

The event was graced by PTNI Chief Digital and Innovation Officer Engr. Gil Orense, Albay Gov. Glenda Bongao, and Albay Provincial Administrator Cedric Daep, among others.

-av

Popular

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...