No room for criminals during Dinagyang fest: PRO-6

By Perla Lena/PNA

BLESSING OF TROOPS. Rev. Fr. Gilbert C. Ilagan leads the blessing of troops during Dinagyang sendoff ceremony held at the new Dinagyang Grandstand on Thursday (Jan. 24, 2019). Close to 3,000-strong government forces and force multipliers will secure this year’s Dinagyang festival. (Photo by Leonora Estanque)

ILOILO CITY — Close to 3,000-strong government forces and force multipliers will secure this year’s Dinagyang festival as they leave no room for criminals and other threats to disrupt the celebration.

“We had a series of planning sessions for the purpose. We show them that we are on top of the situation. More than just a show of force, this send-off ceremony is also an expression of our commitment to serve and protect the community,” said Chief Supt. John C. Bulalacao, Director of the Police Regional Office 6 (Western Visayas) during Thursday’s sendoff of the security contingent held at the Dinagyang grandstand here.

The security forces are composed of the Philippine Army (PA), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), Special Action Force (SAF), Philippine National Police (PNP) City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) civilian volunteers and force multipliers.

Bulalacao urged them to take the opportunity to show their best and that they “are in control of the situation, especially in keeping them safe and secure”.

He declared that they wanted to replicate what they did during the Ati-Atihan Festival in Kalibo, Aklan last week that culminated with no major crime incident and only cases of street crimes.

“Our security template, including the augmentation personnel and the force multipliers, were pivotal to such accomplishment. We will replicate here what we did there; and we expect similar or even better result,” he said.
He urged them to sustain the zero major crime incidents during the Dinagyang fest and reduce the number of street crimes.

Towards the end of his message, he advised the security forces to be always on alert, be confident in doing their job and be courteous.

“There will be thousands of visitors — local and foreign, tourists and pilgrims alike.

“Aside from keeping them safe and secure during their stay, let us also give them reasons to make lasting positive impression of us. Wear, therefore, an image of an approachable yet capable law enforcer,” he said.

This year, the festival organizer is expecting the presence of high-profile guests to include envoys from several countries and 800 cruise ship guests from Japan.

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...