NPA rebel surrenders in Davao Occidental

DAVAO CITY — A member of the New People’s Army (NPA) who operates in Davao Occidental, surrendered with  a firearm to the troops of 73rd Infantry Battalion in Barangay Little Baguio, Malita, Davao Occidental.

Capt. Mc Gary Dida, the civil-military operations (CMO) officer of the Army’s 1002nd Infantry Brigade, said Wednesday that Juanito Miguel Oday alias Payat, 35, married and a resident of Sitio Lanulan, Barangay Little Baguio, Malita, Davao Occidental surrendered and gave up his M1 carbine rifle.

“Nihawa ko sa kilusan kay nahadlok ko na basi mapatay ko sa engkwentro, gikapoy na kaayo ko ug tinago sa bukid (I left the organization for fear of being killed during an encounter. I am also tired of hiding from government troops),” Oday said.

Last week, a series of encounters broke out in Malapatan, Sarangani Province that resulted in the apprehension of three NPA rebels and the recovery of three firearms.

Following the encounter, the military said it intensified its pursuit operations to maintain peace in the area.

“With our intensive security operations and continuous collaboration with our local government units and other stakeholders, we can align our efforts in attaining peaceful and conflict-resilient communities within our area of operation,” said Lt. Col. Marion Angcao, commander of the 73rd Infantry Battalion commander.

The former rebel will be presented to the LGU of Davao Occidental for immediate assistance and enrolment to the government’s Comprehensive Local Integration Program (CLIP), Lt. Angcao said. (Rhoda Grace Saron/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...