NTC: Over 75.5-M SIM cards now registered

By Arabella Asis 

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) reported that around 45% of active subscriber identity modules (SIMs) or around 75.5 million are already registered as of Thursday, April 20.

At the Laging Handa public briefing on Friday, April 21, NTC Deputy Commissioner Atty. Jon Paulo Salvahan said they have observed a “sharp increase” in the number of registrants from April 1 to 18, with almost one million registrations received per day.

“If that range will continue, assuming na magkaroon ng extension, sasapat naman ang period to increase substantially ‘yung number of registrants natin,” Salvahan said.

However, they are not expecting a 100% turnout in SIM card registration.

“We’re not looking at 100% registration [because] most likely ‘yung iba pong SIMs diyan, hindi na po ireregister either one reason or another,” he explained.

Salvahan also stressed that there are certain factors that would be considered before extending the SIM registration deadline. 

“Ang factors po na kino-consider natin diyan [ay] ‘yung rate of registration, ‘yung possible po na mga concerns or issues on why the subscribers could not get registered. ‘Yun po ‘yung mga some of the factors na tinitingnan natin,” he added.

The NTC, together with the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) and Local Government Units (LGUs), are continuously conducting facilitated SIM registration in remote areas to increase the number of registrants.

In addition, telecommunications companies also installed booths to assist subscribers in registering their SIM cards.

To date, the government is not keen to extend the April 26 deadline for SIM registration. – cf

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...