NTF against COVID-19 says Ph still on first wave

The National Task Force Against COVID-19 has clarified anew the Philippines is still on the first wave of COVID-19, and the government is preparing for the second wave.

National Action Plan Chief Implementer Sec. Carlito Galvez Jr. said there is a possibility of increase in the number of COVID-19 positive cases in the country once thousands of OFWs return home.

“Sa nakikita natin ngayon, ang OFWs natin, we are receiving more than 30,000 and they came from affected areas katulad ng US, Italy, Spain and other parts of Middle East. ‘Yun ‘yung tinitignan natin, doon tayo magkakaroon ng possible second wave (Based on the monitoring of our OFWs, we are receiving more than 30,000 and they came from affected areas such as the US, Italy, Spain and other parts of Middle East. That is what we are looking at, that is where the second wave might take place),” Galvez explained.

Galvez disclosed 600 OFWs tested positive for COVID-19 out of the 30,000 tested. The special task group on repatriation has been preparing for the immediate testing of returnees.

The NTF earlier disclosed around 5,000 OFWs are currently in quarantine facilities awaiting results.

Meanwhile, the NTF has been considering the implementation of a zoning concept in the following month wherein zones or clusters with high number of cases will impose stringent quarantine protocols instead of placing an entire province or city on quarantine.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...