OFWs affected by NAIA fiasco to still get P5K aid: DFA

Overseas Filipino workers affected by delayed and cancelled flights due to the runway mishap at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport line up to claim their PHP5,000 cash assistance from the Department of Foreign Affairs. (Photo courtesy of DFA-Office of Public Diplomacy)

MANILA— The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday said overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who were affected by the runway mishap at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) but already left Manila may still claim their PHP5,000 assistance at their respective embassies and consulates.

“Earlier this morning, the DFA-Office of Migrant Workers Affairs advised that those OFWs who already left the country but were affected by the delay could also avail themselves of the financial assistance,” DFA Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato said in an interview.

On Tuesday, the agency announced the release of Assistance-to-Nationals fund to those stranded migrant workers after a Xiamen plane skidded off a runway in NAIA on Thursday last week, causing flight delays and cancellations.

Cato said the embassies and consulates abroad were already instructed to extend the cash assistance to those claiming from their respective host countries.

He reminded that the claimants must still present certain requirements such as the original ticket, the new ticket issued, their employment contract, their overseas employment certificate, and passport. “They have to personally appear,” he added.

To date, the DFA is releasing the cash aid at the DFA-Office of Migrant Workers Affairs (DFA-OMWA), which began at around 4 p.m. on Wednesday (August 22) to run until Friday (August 24) afternoon.

Those affected and who are still in the country may personally claim the cash assistance at the OMWA located at the DFA Roxas Boulevard Building or at any OMWA-designated areas in NAIA Terminals 1, 2, and 3.

Cato said a team from the OMWA will position themselves at the public assistance desks in the airport.

“We understand that they’ve made a request with the NAIA this morning,” he said. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...