Ombudsman sanctions ex-Samar mayor over SALN discrepancies

The Office of the Ombudsman has sanctioned Balangiga, Samar ex-Mayor Viscuso De Lira with six-month suspension without pay, for violating Section 11 of the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees (Republic Act No. 6713). In view of his separation from office, however, the penalty is convertible to a fine equivalent to his salary for six months.

Ombudsman investigators found that in the Joint Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth (SALN) filed by De Lira in 2013, he undervalued his 2010 Nissan Patrol Super Safari by declaring its value as only P1,800,000.00 when its actual price is P3,048,480.00. De Lira also failed to declare his ownership over 10 high-powered firearms in his 2011 to 2013 SALNs.

In a separate Resolution of the case, the Ombudsman had earlier indicted Lira and his wife, Emelita De Lira, for three counts of Perjury and three counts of violation of Section 8, R.A. No. 6713.

The Code of Conduct obliges every public official and employee to accomplish and submit declarations under oath of, and the public has the right to know, their assets, liabilities and net worth and financial and business interest including those of their spouse and of unmarried children under 18 years of age living in their households. Failure to do so shall be punished with a fine not exceeding the equivalent of six months’ salary or suspension not exceeding one year. ### | OMBUDSMAN-PR

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...