OWWA releases P6-M soft loan to OFWs affected by crisis in KSA

ILOILO CITY — The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) in Western Visayas has already released some PHP6 million in soft loans to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) affected by the crisis in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).

OWWA 6 (Western Visayas) Regional Director Wilfreda L. Misterio said the program was in response to the closure of some major companies in Saudi Arabia.

“OWWA came out with a program for special assistance for displaced (OFWs) wherein they could apply for a special loan with us,” she said on Wednesday.

She said that more or less 300 of the around 500 Ilonggos, who worked in two major companies – the MMG Company and the Saudi Oger Ltd (SOL) – are qualified to avail of the soft loan.

As of end of June this year, 181 OFWs have already availed of the soft loan. They can apply as much as 10 percent of their money claims or not more than PHP50,000 without interest.

As a repayment scheme, they have authorized the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh to deduct the amount from their money claims once the money is released to them. The claims have been filed in a court in Saudi, she added.

“This is still open, it was not suspended,” she added.

She announced though that the welfare assistance program (WAP) for illness has been temporarily suspended since July 2 as it undergoes a review.

However the WAP for disability, bereavement and calamity continues.

Since June 1 last year until end of June this year, OWWA has released PHP9.487 million to 879 recipients under the WAP. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...