BACOLOD CITY — City officials here introduced to Bacoleńos over the weekend the newly-refurbished Bacolod public plaza, which was built by the national government for P10 million, through the initiative of Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri.
Zubiri turned over the plaza development project, implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), to Lone District Representative Greg Gasataya, Mayor Evelio Leonardia, and Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran during a program held at the plaza bandstand late Saturday afternoon.
The activity included the switch-on of the new lighting facilities around the area.
“It’s cleaner. Before, the railings were already discolored. Now all are newly-painted, and all the four fountains are now working… I’m happy to announce that (the project) was properly implemented,” the senator said.
Zubiri said city officials led by Leonardia requested funding for the plaza’s facelift when he asked the mayor which project they want funded through his office.
The rehabilitation project included the installation and repair of four fountains with railings; repair of new stone-coated roofing of stage with new lighting; total rewiring; restoration of all benches with pebbles; repair of damaged flooring; fabrication and installation of garden grills; new sound system; repainting of garden grilles and railings; additional garden spotlight for trees; and de-clogging and repair of drainage.
Gasataya, who has been inspecting the plaza development project since it was started in August last year, had earlier said the city government will rehabilitate the comfort rooms.
After the turnover on Saturday, the city government vowed to continue supervising and maintaining the plaza’s facilities. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)