Palace allays fears over police crackdown on ‘tambays’

MANILA — Malacanang on Tuesday allayed fears of the government’s critics that the crackdown against “tambays” (loiterers) in the streets could lead to human rights abuses.

“Those people who are not doing anything wrong in the community should not worry,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in radio interview.

He assured that the human rights of the people will not be violated, saying legal remedies are in place if people caught loitering around are arrested by the police

“If no cases will be filed, there is a legal remedy like petition for habeas corpus and writ of amparo,” Roque, a lawyer, said.

Roque said law enforcers will only go after those drinking on the streets, not wearing shirts, and violators including minors of local ordinances particularly curfew.

“This is also a strategy to have police visibility like in Japan where there is very low crime rate. Why? Because of the presence of police,” Roque said.

In his speech last week, President Rodrigo Duterte called on top police authorities to go after “tambays” as part of the government’s crime prevention measures.

Duterte said roads and highways were built “for the law-abiding citizens”.

“Criminals and drug addicts, they are not supposed to be there. So my directive is, if they loiter on the streets, tell them to go home,” Duterte said.

Duterte, a former mayor of Davao City, won overwhelmingly in the 2016 elections primarily due to his campaign against criminality, illegal drugs and graft and corruption. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...