Palace hits ‘baseless’ US report on PH human rights situation

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos

MANILA – Malacañang on Saturday, April 16, slammed the “baseless” report of the United States Department of State on the current human rights situation in the Philippines, calling them “old and recycled” issues hurled at President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration.

The 2021 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices released Tuesday claimed that the US received “credible” information on the supposed human rights violations perpetrated by Philippine security forces.

In a press statement, acting Presidential Spokesperson, Communication Secretary Martin Andanar, said the report merely showed the weakness of the US’s intelligence gathering.

“We consider the reports utterly devoid of bases,” Andanar said. “The United States has once again displayed how (infirm) its intelligence gathering is with its recent claim of ‘credible’ reports of human rights violations by the Philippine government in its State Department’s 2021 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices.”

“If at all, the reports are nothing but a rehash of old and recycled issues by the perennial detractors of the Duterte administration,” he added.

The US State Department reported the “numerous” human rights abuses committed “by and on behalf of the (Philippine) government and non-state actors.”

The alleged “significant” human rights issues in the country include unlawful or arbitrary killings, reports of forced disappearance, torture, harsh and life-threatening prison conditions, and arbitrary detention.

Andanar maintained that the allegations against the Duterte government, including the supposed violations of law enforcement officers involved in the fight against illegal drugs, “have all previously been addressed.”

He advised the US State Department to coordinate with the Philippine government for the verification of the reported human rights abuses in the country.

“We strongly suggest that the United States State Department validate reports that reach their office, triangulate the same with all other open and institutional sources, and put to work its political officers in the US embassy in the Philippines who can then properly verify the same with the Philippine government. Engaged verification is key in all this,” he said. (PNA)-gb

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...