Palace to submit ₱5-T proposed budget for 2022

Malacañang laid out its proposed ₱5.024 trillion budget for 2022, the highest budget in Philippine history, on Tuesday (Aug. 17).

In a public briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque bared that the proposed budget for 2022 is being finalized. He said it is set to be submitted to the Congress on Monday (Aug. 23).

“Sa ngayon ay pina-finalize na po at pini-print ang fiscal year 2022 National Expenditure Program or NEP at target na maisumite ito sa Kongreso sa Lunes, August 23, 2021.”

Roque disclosed that the social services sector will receive ₱1.922 trillion from the budget. It is 15.2% higher than the 2021 budget.

“Ang social services sector ang magpu-pondo sa serbisyong may kinalaman sa kalusugan tulad ng pagpapatupad ng ating batas na pinasa, Universal Health Care, pagbili ng COVID-19 vaccines, PPEs at iba pa. Kasama rin sa social services sector ang pagpu-pondo sa mga serbisyong may kinalaman sa edukasyon tulad ng pagpapatupad ng Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education,” he expounded.

The economic services sector will receive ₱1.474 trillion. Sec. Roque said the Build, Build, Build program is one of the projects to be funded by the economic services sector. The budget is 11.4% higher than last year.

Meanwhile, ₱862.7 billion will be allocated to the general public services sector, ₱224.4 billion to the defense sector, while ₱541.3 billion to the country’s debt burden.

“Having said this, sa ating 2022 National Expenditure Program, ang DepEd, CHED at ang mga state universities and colleges ang may pinakamataas na alokasyon with  ₱773.6 billion. Ang DPWH naman po, ₱686.1 billion; ang DILG –  ₱250.4 billion; ang DOH – 242 billion; ang DND –  ₱222 billion; ang DSWD –  ₱191.4 billion; ang DOTr –  ₱151.3 billion; ang DA at ang National Irrigation Authority ay nasa  ₱103.5 billion; at ang DOLE po ay  ₱44.9 billion,” he explained.

According to Roque, the government gives priority to health amid the pandemic, therefore a large allocation of the budget will be given to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for the country’s COVID-19 response.

“Talaga pong prayoridad natin ang kalusugan sa panahon ng pandemya pero huwag po nating kalimutan iyong ating mga TTMFs, iyong ating mga modular hospitals, ang nagpapatupad po niyan DPWH din. So, malaking bahagi po ng budget ng DPWH ay para din po sa ating COVID response.”

Report from Mela Lesmoras/NGS-rir

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...