PBBM: Middle East crisis no effect on economy, price gouging monitored

NO MAJOR EFFECT. In a media interview in Capas, Tarlac on Wednesday (June 25, 2025), President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. assured the public that the tension between Israel and Iran has “no significant” impact on the Philippine economy. Marcos also stressed that the government will continue to monitor the price gouging amid the conflict in the Middle East. (Photo courtesy: PCO)

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

The government is monitoring the price gouging amid conflict in the Middle East, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. said on Wednesday, even though he assured that the tensions have “no significant” impact on the Philippine economy.

In an interview in Capas, Tarlac, the President said the effect of the Iran-Israel war “should be manageable.”

“So far, there is no effect. So, there’s no significant effect on the economy,” Marcos said, when asked about the results of his meeting with his economic team held at Malacañang on Tuesday to discuss measures that would protect affected Filipinos from the effects of the ongoing tensions between Iran and Israel.

Among the plans discussed during the meeting were the provision of fuel subsidies, cash aid, and government support to keep prices of commodities and transportation fares affordable while maintaining economic stability.

“Binabantayan natin ngayon ‘yong price gouging dahil ang dami ko nang nakita, nagtataas ng presyo. Hindi naman tumaas ang presyo ng langis. So, ‘yon ang babantayan natin ngayon. That’s what we’re going to watch,” he added.

While he acknowledged that the ongoing crisis in the oil-rich region may affect the prices of oil, Marcos noted that crude oil prices fell to $69 from $79, following the announcement of a ceasefire agreement between Iran and Israel.

Asked if the government would still grant fuel subsidies for public utility drivers and other affected stakeholders despite the decline in oil prices, Marcos said it would be unnecessary.

“Kung hindi nagbago ang presyo, then we do the same like before. Ang sinasabi namin, hindi ayuda, subsidy ’pag tumaas ang presyo. Kung ‘di tumaas ang presyo ng langis, there’s no need for that,” he said.

“They can proceed. We can do business as usual. The price of oil has not gone up. So, we do not need to talk about the subsidy yet. The price of oil has not gone up. It went up for one day, then it came back down.”

Popular

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...