PCA steps up watch vs illegal coco logging in Region 8

TACLOBAN CITY — The Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) has been strictly regulating the cutting of coconut trees in Eastern Visayas despite earlier lifting of the nationwide coconut logging ban.

Guarding major highways and ports with the help of the Philippine National Police (PNP) will continue in the bid to stop unregulated cutting of coconut trees.

Illegal trade has been tagged as setback for the industry’s post-disaster recovery program, PCA regulation officer Benjamin Yu told PNA on Tuesday.

“Our effort to regulate coconut logging has been sustained. We always tell landowners and traders that cutting of productive coconut trees is unlawful unless permitted by the PCA,” Yu said.

On January 3, 2017, the government imposed a three-month nationwide ban on cutting of coconut trees. It was lifted early April.

Even without the ban, the PCA has been strictly enforcing the Republic Act 10593 signed into law on May 29, 2013.

Since last year until September, law enforcers have already intercepted 115 vehicles loaded with coconut logs processed without permits. Majority of these were recorded in Leyte province.

At least 35 violations have been reported to the PCA regional office since last year, according to Yu.

The more intensified regulations has confiscated 11 chainsaws used by loggers in different provinces of the region. At least eight cases have been filed by complainants or witnesses against violators from February 2016 to September 2017.

Under Republic Act No. 10593, cutting of coconut trees is prohibited unless a permit is secured at the local PCA office.

Cutting is only allowed if the tree 60 years old in the case of tall varieties, and at least 40 years old for dwarf varieties, no longer economically productive, severely disease-infested and beyond rehabilitation, severely damaged by typhoon or lightning, or it causes hazard to life and property.

Logging is also permitted in areas for coconut farms converted into residential, commercial, industrial areas, and for other agricultural uses. (with reports from Pearl Marie L. Ecaldre, OJT/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...