PH can manage sans UNHRC intervention

By Filane Mikee Cervantes/Philippine News Agency

Senator Panfilo Lacson

MANILA — Senator Panfilo Lacson on Friday said the Philippines can manage without the intervention of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC).

Lacson made the statement following the UNHRC’s move to adopt a resolution that would allow the body to investigate the human rights situation in the country.

The Iceland-initiated resolution was adopted with 18 votes in favor, 14 against, and 15 abstentions.

“We have a functioning criminal justice system that deals adequately with erring law enforcers,” Lacson said.

“We regularly provide our Commission on Human Rights the budget they need to perform their mandate,” he added.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. questioned the validity of the resolution since it was “not universally adopted.”

Locsin further described as politically partisan and one-sided the Iceland resolution, reiterating Manila’s position to reject it.

“It cannot, in good conscience, abide by it. We will not accept a politically partisan and one-sided resolution, so detached from the truth on the ground. It comes straight from the mouth of the Queen in Alice in Wonderland, ‘First the judgment, then the proof’,” he said.

Among the 18 states that voted “yes” include Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Fiji, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Slovakia, Spain, Ukraine, the United Kingdom including Northern Ireland, and Uruguay.

A total of 14 nations, on the other hand, voted “no”, including Angola, Bahrain, Cameroon, Hungary, China, Cuba, Egypt, Eritrea, India, Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Somalia.

Meanwhile, 15 countries abstained, including Japan, South Africa, Brazil, and Pakistan.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...