Police arrest 2 Hapilon followers

Chief Supt. Billy Beltran, PRO-9 director, briefs reporters in a recent press conference about the programs of his office in the region. (Photo file by: Teofilo P. Garcia, Jr.)

ZAMBOANGA CITY — Police here arrested two followers of Isnilon Hapilon, the slain Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) leader and emir of the Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the police reported Saturday.

Chief Supt. Billy Beltran, Police Regional Office (PRO) 9 director, identified them as Sammer Lanjang, who carried the aliases of Abu Sammer and Abu Ziad, and a certain Abu Askabal.

Both were followers of Hapilon, who was killed by government troops during the five-month war last year when the ISIS-inspired Maute group tried to take over Marawi City.

Beltran said Lanjang and Askabal were arrested in a law enforcement operation at around 10:30 a.m. Thursday in front of a fast food chain on Zaragosa Street, Barangay Zone 4, this city.

He said they have standing warrants of arrest for the crimes of kidnapping and serious illegal detention with no recommended bail issued by the court in Isabela City, Basilan province.

He said they were allegedly involved in the kidnapping of 15 workers on June 11, 2001 at the Golden Harvest Plantation in Barangay Tairan, Lantawan, Basilan.

The ASG executed by beheading five of the 15 workers while remaining 10 have either escaped or rescued by pursuing military forces.

Beltran said Lanjang and Askabal were positively identified by witnesses who are under the witness protection program and security benefit program (WPSBP) of the Department of Justice (DOJ).

Since January this year, 13 ASG members involved in the Golden Harvest Plantation attack were apprehended by government operatives.

Of the total, 12 of them were arrested in Zamboanga City while one in Isabela City, Basilan province. (PNA)

Popular

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...