President gives 4 reasons for non-renewal of SSS exec’s appointment

MANILA — President Rodrigo R. Duterte gave four reasons for not renewing the appointment of Social Security System (SSS) Commissioner Jose Gabriel La Viña, Malacañang said Saturday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. made the statement after announcing last Monday that the terms of La Viña and SSS Chairman Amando Valdez will not be renewed.

Roque said the first reason Duterte gave is because La Viña demanded a budget of PHP26 million to fund his “social media” project with him as TV host. The demand was denied, Roque added.

It was unclear what social media project Roque was referring to.

La Viña also requested for a PHP1.6 million per month budget for a media advertising program which was also denied, Roque said.

The second reason Duterte gave was that La Viña also requested for the accreditation of seven brokers to handle SSS investments.

However, the accreditation was denied because these brokers failed to meet the requirements, Roque said.

The President’s third reason was that La Viña embarked on a vilification campaign against four SSS executives who “crossed his path”.

Roque said two of the four executives resigned and one is now a consultant of Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III.

Finally, Roque said that Duterte also disliked how La Viña called a press conference and spoke against the four executives despite an ongoing investigation on issues hounding the agency.

La Viña had been serving in the SSS in a hold over capacity.

Roque did not give a reason for Duterte’s decision not to renew Valdez’s appointment.
Malacañang has yet to announce the replacements for the two.

Roque said that Duterte also believed that the SSS would be more efficient without the quarrel among members of its board.
Roque assured that operations at the SSS would continue even while the Palace has yet to find replacements for the two sacked officials.

“Let this be a reminder to all public officials that the President is serious in curbing corruption and has strong resolve to promote good governance,” Roque said. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...