Probe continues on shooting of photojournalist in QC

Security footage of a shooting incident that targeted a local photojournalist in Masambong, Quezon City, June 29, 2023. (Screenshot/Ulat Bayan)

By Christian Andrei Bautista

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) is still investigating the shooting incident that targeted photojournalist Joshua Abiad on the afternoon of June 29 that also led to the death of his four year-old nephew.

According to the update of QCPD Director BGen. Nicolas D. Torre III, the police are currently tracing the firearms, vehicles, and a motorcycle used in the crime.

“May  tatlo kaming working motives – puwedeng personal, puwedeng sa kaniyang trabaho, at pwede pang other matters. It could be other reasons kung bakit siya inattempt na patayin. Pero sa ngayon, we have enough motives to go by para sa ating patuloy na imbestigasyon,” Torre said.

He said Abiad is recovering in a hospital after sustaining injuries from gunshot wounds on his arms and hands. A security detail has also been assigned to his family while investigation is underway.

Abiad is a witness to several illegal drugs cases, according to the Presidential Task Force on Media Security. 

“He’s one of those brave volunteers dahil requirement ‘yan ng Section 21 ng [Republic Act] 9165, na sa chain of custody sa imbentaryo may magwi-witness, and kasama diyan sa mga witness diyan ini-enumerate doon ang members of the press,” he said.

“So isa sa matatapang na press, ng media si Josh na nakikipagtulungan sa atin at pumipirma sa papeles ng imbentaryo para ma-comply na ito ng batas,” he continued. –ag

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...