Puerto Princesa bay now red tide-free

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan — The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) on Monday declared that samples of shellfish harvested from the Puerto Princesa bay tested free of the red tide toxins and now safe for human consumption.

“Negative results for Paralytic Shellfish Poison (PSP) were obtained from three consecutive weeks of sampling in the areas,” according to the Shellfish Advisory No. 41 dated November 18 and signed by Department of Agriculture Undersecretary for Fisheries and BFAR National Director Eduardo Gongona.

BFAR added that shellfish harvested from the said bay “are now safe for human consumption,” and can already be sold in the market.

However, in Shellfish Bulletin No. 38 also dated the same day, Gongona said the consumption of certain species of crustaceans, mussels, and the likes harvested from the Inner Malampaya Sound in Taytay town, northern Palawan, remains prohibited due to the lingering presence of PSP.

Based on latest laboratory results of BFAR, collected samples from the Inner Malampaya Sound are still “positive for paralytic shellfish poison that is beyond regulatory limit.”

“All types of shellfish and Acetes sp. or alamang gathered from the area remain not fit for human consumption,” the bulletin said.

Aside from the Inner Malampaya Sound, the shellfish ban remains over the coastal waters of Daram Island and Irong-Irong Bay, Maqueda Bay, Villareal Bay and Cambatutay Bay in Western Samar; Matarinao Bay in Eastern Samar; Carigara Bay in Leyte; coastal waters of Mandaon, Masbate; and Bataan coastal waters.

Honda Bay in Barangay Sta. Lourdes, also in Puerto Princesa, remains safe from red tide toxins, the bulletin also said.

The BFAR raised the red tide alert over Puerto Princesa bay and the Inner Malampaya Sound, Taytay last August. (PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...